|Battle of Trenton by Charles McBarron|
Thursday, June 1 – THE SENIOR CENTER of CHARLOTTESVILLE commences a brand new 5-session class entitled “The Life & Times of James Monroe.” A consummate and dedicated statesman, Monroe had a long and distinguished public career. Serving as a soldier, diplomat, governor, senator, and cabinet member, Monroe has the distinction of holding more offices than any other U.S. President. Best remembered, perhaps, for the Monroe Doctrine, his presidency was known as “The Era of Good Feelings.” Join us as we explore the life of this former Albemarle County resident.
Our Lecturers—Scott A. Harris, Director of the James Monroe Museum; Nancy Stetz, Highland’s Education Programs Manager; Daniel Preston, Editor of the Papers of James Monroe; William Ferraro, Editor of the Papers of George Washington; and local Historian Rick Britton.
• Thurs., June 1st - 6:oo pm – “James Monroe; A Revolutionary Idealist” - Harris
• Thurs., June 8th - 6:oo pm - “Bona Fide Hero of the Revolution” - Britton
• Thurs., June 15th - 6:oo pm - “James Monroe & Slavery” - Stetz
• Thurs., June 22nd - 6:oo pm - “Monroe’s Presidential Journeys” - Preston
• Thurs., June 29th - 6:oo pm - “James Monroe & George Washington” - Ferraro
Sign up today! The class meets at the Senior Center Inc. on five consecutive Thursdays, 6:00-7:00 p.m. Charge: members, $70.00—guests, $80.00. To sign up call the Senior Center Travel Office at (434) 974-6538, or go to www.seniorcenterinc.org. See you at the Senior Center!