Tuesday, March 7 – 3:00 p.m. – THE SENIOR CENTER of CHARLOTTESVILLE begins a brand new class: “The Genius of Thomas Jefferson.” The lecturer is historian Rick Britton, author of the award-winning Jefferson, A Monticello Sampler. It’s the perfect class for both recent transplants and local history buffs who want to delve a bit deeper!
Despite being born in the Virginia backcountry, Jefferson became one of America’s most brilliant Founding Fathers. We’ll examine his most famous and notable achievement—authorship of the Declaration of Independence—and we’ll explore many of his lesser-known accomplishments such as the dredging of the Rivanna River, the founding of the U.S. Patent Office, and designing of the Virginia State Capitol. We’ll also learn about Jefferson’s foray into the fascinating science of paleontology. Join us as we explore “The Genius of Thomas Jefferson!”
• Tues., March 7 - 3:oo pm – “Jefferson’s Greatest Hits: Accomplishments Galore!”• Tues., March 14 - 3:oo pm – “Jefferson’s Greatest Hits: Part Two!”
• Tues., March 21 - 3:oo pm – “Jefferson, the Declaration, & the Fourth of July”
• Tues., March 28 - 3:oo pm – “Jefferson, Father of the American West”
• Tues., April 4 - 3:oo pm – “The Megalonyx Jeffersonii: Jefferson’s Great Claw”
• Tues., April 18 – Travel Session: A fabulous day-trip to downtown Washington to see the recreation of Jefferson’s book collection at the gorgeous Library of Congress, and the stunningly beautiful Jefferson Memorial. For lunch we’ll dine at the U.S. Capitol Cafeteria. (Tour departs 8:00 a.m., returns between 5:30 & 6:30 p.m. Travel Session is a separate charge. Note that Library of Congress tour is limited to 25 participants.)
Sign up today! The class will be held at the Senior Center Inc. beginning on Tues., March 7, 3:00–4:00 pm. Charge: Senior Center members: $70.00—guests: $80.00. To register, or for more information, call the Senior Center Travel Office at (434) 974-6538, go to www.seniorcenterinc.org, or e-mail RHBritton@aol.com.